In a domiciliary care setting in the East Midlands, social care and NHS community teams came together to deploy a remote monitoring service. The service remote monitors residents in two assisted living facilities using Spirit Health’s Clinitouch platform and Clinical Monitoring Team.
The platform detects signs of deterioration allowing early interventions and helping to avoid any unnecessary hospital admissions. Early identification supports personalised and proactive care for the residents.
Aims & Objectives
- To remotely monitor residents with frailty and high health needs in assisted living facilities to provide proactive care and prevent hospital admissions
- To reduce the number of 111 and 999 calls made from the assisted living facilities
How it works
- Specialist Neighbourhood Practitioner - identifies residents that will benefit from remote monitoring on Clinitouch and determines frequency they should be monitored.
- Carers in Assisted Living Facilities - record in real-time the resident’s answers to frailty questions and clinical observations on Clinitouch.
- Clinitouch - the platform has unique algorithms that automatically analyse and risk-score the data. Prioritises a resident list with a red, amber, green rating to highlight where action is required.
- Clinical Monitoring Team - review resident’s data on Clinitouch and inform relevant community teams about resident’s clinical condition and flag where urgent attention is required, enabling timely treatment interventions.
An example of hospital admission avoidance
- Carer completed frailty questions and observations for 87-year-old resident
- Clinitouch data flagged red revealing resident had urinary symptoms
- Clinical Monitoring Team prompted carer/community team to contact the resident’s GP
- GP saw resident and prescribed antibiotics for a UTI
- Clinical Monitoring Team called assisted living facility to check on resident
- Resident recovered
Sharon, Specialist Neighbourhood Practitioner, NHS comments:
“The Clinical Monitoring Team is good, they keep me well informed. For example, they email me if someone has gone into hospital or on antibiotics, helps me as a clinician to review and keep an eye on the patient.”
Learn more about how Clinitouch can be used in care homes, connecting residents with their clinician remotely.